Friday 26 February 2010

KEVIN 'BRIGHT EYES' NOLAN OFFERS HIS TWOPENNY'ORTH ON BBC 'SOUND OF 2010' ELLIE GOULDING


 

"I know what you expect me to say: that this is just generic, bankable post-FATM/Little Boots/La Roux trash. 

"I mean, this lass is a veritable paragon of shallowness. In interview, she comes across like a Geri Halliwell for the Shockwaves NME generation. Her vociferously self-touted interest in 'folk music' extends no further than Bon Iver and Joni Mitchell. The lyrics are execrable. The hype is asphyxiating.

"I know all this.

"And yet I can't help liking 'Starry Eyed'. Perhaps it's just because I'm a sucker for super-overproduced, ever-so-slightly nasal female vocal lines. Call it the 'Baby D factor'.

"I think it could be a physiological thing, whereby a voice operating at a certain coruscating frequency enters via the ear and sets some obscure nerve-ending in the finger tips a-twitching.

"Anyhow, on a less ideologically ambiguous note, I've been enjoying the new Field Music and Joanna Newsom albums, though I do have my reservations about both."

Last week, Nolan said that the NUFC squad are "in it for the long haul", and that the team knows being current Championship leaders does not mean they are guaranteed to win promotion.

No comments: