Monday 1 October 2007

A NEW ONE FOR THE O.E.D

-
whileyfication /wīl-if-i-kā’-shun/ n a deteriorative process of gradual dilution occurring over a period of time; an excessive, indiscriminate, uncritical enthusiasm, esp when referring to music
festivals; an ability to identify aesthetic or other value in the music of David Gray; a slow travestying of British alternative music through the incremental hybridisation of that genre’s artistic and ethical principles with those of MOR market-driven rock, the conservative singer-songwriter sub-genre, celebrity culture, fashion, consumerism, and other manifestations of post-Thatcherite culture (cf. William Burroughs on the American Dream: 'to vulgarize and to falsify until the bare lies shine through').

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fucking hate Whiley, and Bowman. I wonder what happens when they get together and talk about music...

Bowman: "I just heard the new single from the View, it's ABSOLUTELY AMAAAAAZIN'!!!!!"

Whiley: "I Know!!!! When I first heard it I just had to put down my copy of NME and start flicking my bean!

Bowman: "I came SIX TIMES simply by sitting quite near to the CD case; PHENOMENAL!!!"

Whiley: "I'm SOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!"

etc.

Anonymous said...

true dat